Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Barack Obama's Speech on Race

You can click here to listen to Barack Obama's speech.

Barack Obama's Speech on Race.

I have to admit, I'm not someone who was swept up in Obamamania and, while I respect the Illinois Senator, politically my feelings about him had been pretty neutral. However, as time goes by, I'm becoming more and more convinced that he's the better candidate for the US Presidency.

In the past, I didn't agree with the comparisons of Obama with Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy. I had listened to alot of Obama's speeches, and I just didn't see this comparison.

However, his recent speech on race-relations changed my mind. I thought it was powerful how Obama stated he cannot disown his pastor, despite his controversial comments, because he was family like his white grandmother who at times made disparaging remarks about blacks. With that comparison, Obama highlighted the experiences of many people who have a relative, pastor, or close associate who holds views with which they disagree.

I went on the internet and listened to Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech and to JFK's "Ask not what you can do for your country" speech. I believe that Obama's speech on race relations and on his pastor ranks with these great speeches.

I sincerely believe that Americans should nominate and elect Barack Obama President, he provides a new hope for the current generations, and for generations to come, a hope for an America where everyone - regardless of race or religion - can feel an integral part of society.

His speech was fireworks and it will survive for many generations afterwards as an important speech in American history.

Recommend this post

2 comments:

  1. I thought i was very well done and a great many thought so (except FOX) I think he will become a great President..I am not for Clinton..relies on her Hubie's name too much and does a great many slurs on Obama. I do not think of colour, I think of what he could do , with a good VEEP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizt,

    Fox is a Faux Pas. I never take them seriously.

    I am sure Obama will get a good VEEP - could be Edwards. ;)Hope he wins.

    ReplyDelete