Tuesday, May 26, 2009

India's Growing Pains

As India's economy grows, it is becoming more exposed to the World. PBS had a story on India the other day which talked about the Untouchables and how they are required to work in the sewers only, without any protection from gases in the sewer lines - the levels of injury and disease is very high because of this. I must admit, I found it flabbergasting that, in this day and age, that fellow human beings can be put through that kind of living hell. I hope this exposure will help India overcome this kind of severe human rights violation -- it's amazing that we talk about human rights violations in China, but so little is known about India.

Please Note: I was unable to find the PBS video online, but I found another video from the United Nations which talks about this issue.

Recommend this post

No comments:

Post a Comment