Thursday, December 03, 2009

Stephen Harper in China

With torturegate on his hands, how can Harper talk about human rights in China? Remember he would not attend the Chinese Olympics because he said that "Canadians are deeply concerned about China's human rights record" and he was trying to sell that to Canadians to win votes. Now where is his own human rights records?

Also, the China media is calling him for what he really is, a hypocrite. How stupid can he get that he would not attend the Olympics and now he wants to kiss Chinese butts for business with China. This man is a disgrace, I am sorry to say.

By the way Confucius (551-479 BCE) is one of my favourite philosophers/mystics. What he said more than 2000 years ago is so true today. He truly understood human nature. Here is one of my favourite quotes from him"

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

Socrates (469 BC–399 BC) said something similar a little later on: "I know that I don't know."

Socrates also questioned the Greek establishment and he was sentenced to death on the grounds that he was corrupting the youth by such questions. That tells you how much one should trust an establishment of any kind.

I hope Harper will learn something in China.

Recommend this post

2 comments:

  1. I was in South Korea when Harper attended the Asian Conference in September 2006 as an invited guest which was held in Malayisia if my memory severs me correctly. He was the only invited PM who criticzied the Chinese Government for its human rights record. This at a time when more and more Canadians were forced to live on the Streets. At the end of my 2006 contract, I was invited to China (Quingdao) to help develop a curriculum for a school. There, I met many officials including the assistant major. They were most upset by Harper's comments and asked of me, why Canadians suddenly didn't like China. I could only explain the comments of Prime Minister Harper as being his opinion and not that of most Canadians. I found the Chinese to be very hard working with opinions they voiced openly about what needed to happen in their own country. They were also very vocal regarding the dire need for pollution conrol unlike most Canadians. China began to build its way of life it practices now in 1989. With 3.4 billion people to take care of and raise them above the level of living in very poor conditions pre 1989. I'd like to see Mr. Harper take on such a task. It's time to STOP critizing China and encourage them for what they are doing correctly and not for what they haven't been able to get to change yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jingles, thank you for your wonderful comment and telling us about your experience in China. I never had the privilege of visiting China but had Chinese class-fellows at school and university. I also did read bio of Mao Tse-Tung. He set things in motion. I think he was one of the greatest leaders in the world although some will question that. Then I also think that Vladimir Lenin was a great leader too and I am called commie then. Whatever Lenin built up Stalin succeeded to destroy it.

    I fully agree with your assessment of China. China is one of the oldest civilizations in the world. Lot of wisdom came out of China. We in U.S and Canada are in infancy as a civilization. Harper’s remarks in Malaysia were indeed inappropriate and they did strain relations with China.

    ReplyDelete