Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bob Rae Named Interim Leader of the Liberal Party

I hope Bob Rae will do a great job until the new permanent leader is selected. I feel Bob Rae will make a great interim leader given his lengthy public service. I admit too, I think it is good that he is out of the race for permanent leader. Bob Rae is a good person, but his premiership of Ontario was unfortunately a failed one. The Ontario NDP was a one-term government and is far from forming another government in Ottawa.

I read Bob Rae's 1996 autobiography and was a little disappointed in that he blamed everyone else but himself for his failures. His premiership of Ontario would have been major baggage to overcome if he ran in the 2015 election as federal Liberal leader. The Conservatives would have had extraordinary ammunition to attack him and maybe his fate would have been the same as Ignatieff's and Dion's.

I wish the Liberal Party well and hope in the long-term they will choose a good leader who can excite the grassroots and make the Liberals again the ruling party. If the Liberal Party sticks to a centrist track it has a lot to contribute to Canada.

Recommend this post

2 comments:

  1. the ruling party

    Pet peeve alert!

    I think you mean the governing party. In this country we're supposed to be ruled by law and governed by our elected representatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pogge, thank you for the correction. I agree that it should be "governing party" instead of "ruling party".

    I wrote it in a hurry. I also think that instead of "permanent" there should be a better word. Maybe "long term" leader?

    ReplyDelete