Saturday, July 20, 2013

Barack Obama on Trayvon Martin's case

I am very impressed by the stand Barack Obama took on the case of Trayvon Martin who was murdered by George Zimmerman.


"You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son. Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago. And when you think about why, in the African- American community at least, there's a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it's important to recognize that the African- American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that -- that doesn't go away," he said.

 “There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they are shopping at a department store. And that includes me.” 

 He also called for a review of so-called "Stand Your Ground" laws, a central issue in the case. 

Read the NBC story here.

Recommend this post

No comments:

Post a Comment